Making bakery-worthy chocolate chip cookies is much easier than it seems. You’ll find a detailed ingredient list and step-by-step instructions in the recipe below, but let’s go over the basics:
These are the kitchen staples you’ll need to make the best chocolate chip cookies of your life:
· Butter: This classic chocolate chip cookie recipe starts with two sticks of butter creamed with white and brown sugars. The blend of sugars creates a perfectly balanced flavor.
· Eggs: Eggs add moisture and act as a binding agent, which means they help hold the dough together.
· Vanilla: Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor of the chocolate chip cookies.
· Baking soda: Baking soda acts as a leavened, which means it helps the cookies rise.
· Water: A bit of hot water creates steam as it bakes, working with the baking soda to puff the cookies up.
· Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavors of the other ingredients, but it won’t make the cookies taste salty.
· Flour: All-purpose flour helps create gluten, which adds structure to the cookie dough.
· Chocolate chips: Of course, you’ll need semisweet chocolate chips! You can use dark or milk chocolate chips if you prefer.
· Nuts (optional): Walnuts are optional, but they add nutty flavor and a welcome crunch.